Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Bonjour, Butterfly

Bonjour Butterfly
Written by Jane O'Conner
Illustrated by: Robin Preiss Glasser

As I have mentioned before, the girls in my house really love Fancy Nancy. Some other people do too. In this situation, it sometimes gets frustrating when additional books are released, as they seem to be of lesser quality. I am thrilled to say, I have read no books starring Fancy Nancy that I have not thought darling! (What a relief, I must say). We love them all, including this one.

In Bonjour Butterfly, Nancy is anticipating the arrival of a splendid birthday party, featuring butterflies, thrown by a best friend. Then her plans are crashed and she has to miss the party for her grandparent's fiftieth wedding anniversary! Nancy is quite disappointed. She is not exactly a sweetheart about it all. As it turns out, the anniversary party is quite fancy, and Nancy quite enjoys herself. The following day Nancy is even lucky enough to attend a butterfly zoo with her grandparents!

Does Nancy decide to perk up because she is having a grand time at the party, or does attitude really make a difference? Ask your child as you read this book, as I think this is an important distinction (even if it's not made perfectly clear in the book). As is the case with all the books, Nancy teaches splendidly fancy vocabulary, and deals with typical, and perhaps familiar-to-your-child situations. Enjoy!

1 comment:

thecapedhappyender said...

My daughter got this book for Easter and we have read it over and over and over again and, of course, when you share a book like that with a daughter, the book becomes priceless. I am a fan of the Fancy Nancy books, especially the illustrations. Aren't they great? I love the expressions and the peices of life the pages capture. I love this book!