Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Toasting Marshmallows: Camping Poems

Toasting Marshmallows: Camping Poems
Written by: Kristine O'Connell George
Illustrated by: Kate Kiesler

I am fascinated with poems because I know there is magic in them. I love the brevity of many and the feeling in so few well chosen words. I know that they are good for children, even if I can't articulate why without passing on reasons given by someone else. Poems are mysteriously good things to me in their short but true breath of meaning. (I do like the short ones best)!

Introducing poetry to children can be fun when a theme is involved, especially if it revolves around their interests, or better yet your combined interests. This book of camping poems is a fun mix of thinking and lighthearted poems, poems about marshmallows and sleeping bags, owls and caves, and many other camping situations. Although these couple dozen poems are probably best for the slightly older child, I can see the illustrations and rhythm pleasing younger ones.Enjoy a fun and different collection of poems meant of course, especially for you campers! Check it out!

2 comments:

Marinela said...

"I am fascinated with poems because I know there is magic in them"
True :)

thecapedhappyender said...

Oh, I need to try poetry and you have convinced me of this. Thank you. I have little experience with poerty beyond Shel Silverstein, who we love for so many reasons. In my defense, I did look and try to get the book you recommended, "My Little Book of Poetry" or something similar (the red book) but it was to no avail and to my huge disappointment. I will try for this camping book - perhaps I will have better luck.

Suddenly interested in poetry,
ShaLisa