Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Bedtime for Frances


Bedtime for Frances
Written by Russell Hoban
Illustrated by Garth Williams

When I was a child I owned and enjoyed the classic story A Bargain for Frances. I love this story still, and so does my daughter. However, I didn't read Bedtime for Frances until I was all grown up. Oh how I love this story also! In this book Frances seems to want to go to bed, but there are many things she has forgotten about, requiring her to get up many times. Her parents are so patient, so practical and calm and yet so parentally easy to relate too, it is delightful (even if like me you would have lost your patience sooner, and even if like me you don't believe in spanking)! What a sweet Daddy Frances has! Finally, with a little extra motivation Frances makes it to sleep. Who hasn't had a little Frances of their own up and up again from bedtime? As a parent this book is enjoyable. As a child, this book is enjoyable. A great combination! I came across this story first in The 20th-Century Children's Book Treasury: Picture Books and Stories to Read Aloud which is a very fun collection!

No comments: