Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Owl at Home

Owl at Home
Written and illustrated by Arnold Lobel

Today I would like to introduce you to a dear old friend of mine. This comfortable, lovable, adorable friend is named Owl. He is growing a little bit tattered at my house. I do love Arnold Lobel's creations, but especially Frog and Toad and Owl. Let me tell you what I like about dear Owl.

Owl is simple and sweet. He is so kind he would invite the winter inside to warm itself by the fire --and in fact he does. He is so sentimental that he can make himself cry, just to enjoy tear water tea. Owl thinks of some very sad situations to encourage his tears like beautiful mornings that nobody noticed because they were all sleeping. (Sniff, sniff.) Owl is a thinker. He really wants to figure out how to be upstairs and downstairs at once and he tries pretty hard, wearing himself out in the process. Owl is innocent. He cannot figure out what the strange bumps at the bottom of his bed are. You know --the ones that move whenever his feet do? (He doesn't notice this, but children do.) Owl is so polite that he insists the moon does not need to follow him home. The moon does however, and is even as kind as to shine on his pillow that night. Oh how Owl appreciates such things! Oh dear Owl. This friend warms my heart. I think I will go look for a child to read with, so we can all visit. Owl is a such a worthy friend.

2 comments:

thecapedhappyender said...

Lindsay,

I love this book too! I really liked the way you talked about it. You are right again. I will have to find and read this book right away. I have loved it for as long as I remember and I regret my littlest ones may not have had opportunity to fall in love with it as I have. I sometimes forget to read and reread and read again the books in our own home. This book, along with the Frog and Toad books, have never failed to amuse its readers. It is a book to smile about. Thank you.

Looking for an old friend, Owl,
ShaLisa

Corey Schwartz said...

Oh, I'll have to look for it. Huge Frog and Toad fan, but I don't think I'm familiar with this one.